Thread: Partner
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 22, 2001, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I've told how everything has been running pretty smooth lately till Friday night game and wasnt a player but a partner that PO'd me

SIT: R1 on 1st B2 hits a gapper in the outfield I am BU good throw comes into F5 which tags sliding R1 PU calls out then F5 fires to F4 and tags BR standing up coming into 2nd I gave the out call and moving back into position hear a little fussing coming from BR that F4 missed the tag then all of sudden hear PU yell out "I got a safe at 2nd F4 missed the tag". Now PU is a senior ump to me and has been through the National school so I decided to very hardly bite the lips and not say anything though believe PU should of not overruled my call unless asked for. Afterwards PU did tell me that he thought he got a better angle on the play even though I was inside looking at it and that he was sure that F4 missed the tag and since there was only a little protest from the defense after the reversal he may have been correct.

Of course my problem was the way PU handle it I would have had no problem with the reversal if I would if appealed the play or asked for help but PU just yelling it out I believed discredited myself in front of the players and wasnt warrented BUT since he was my senior and overall he is a good guy and ump and have not had a problem with him in prior games I decided to let it rest.

Question for the vet's if this would of happen to you in your earlier years calling with a senior umpire would you have let it rest or brought it up for a discussion after the game the displeasure of the way the other umpire handled this.

Thanks for any replies

Don