Thread: SLUMP
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerblue
Like most hitters go through, I have been in a slump that I cannot seem to get out of. I worked a game yesterday that jut may have been my worst game ever. I couldn't dial in the strike zone, I missed a fair\foul call, I swore at a couple of players who argued. I ejected a bench warmer in the bottom of the 7th inning after taking heat from everyone pretty much all day. It was a mess. I felt absolutley awful. Any advice for getting out of this slump? I need help. Conference tournament is next week and if I repeat the performance from yesterday, I may as well hang up the mask.
It's kind of tough to know exactly where your coming from because you don't list your experience and levels working. If your a beginner, well, you are going to go through these things until you establish a zone that your totaly comfortable with. When I first started I became frustrated and found myself in these situation because, well, I stunk.
The more I worked at it though, the better I became. So if thats it, DON'T Quit.

Now, mabey your doing too many game and need to relax a little. Are you getting to the game at the last minute? Are you overstressed before you get to the game? All these things can affect your game.

Now , if your a veteran, well my best advice is to go back to the basic mechanics that got you where you are. Stay down and make sure your locked into your zone. I generally find that to be my biggest problem, and actually have to remind myself to stay down, see the pitch into the glove, make the call, announce it and then signal.

Then again, there are those days where I have actually told a complaing coach that I agree, I just suck today but Im the best umpire he has for this game and were both going to have to deal with it. Fortunately that has not been that often. But there are those days.

Good Luck