View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
From JEA on this subject:

"Professional Interpretation: Catcher interference is any physical act which interferes with the batter while he is preparing or attempting to offer at a pitched ball. Interference by any other fielder most likely would be committed by a third baseman or first baseman charging home in play situations as described in Rule 7.07.

A play following interference should be construed to mean a play which results from a ball being batted despite the interference.

A play which develops after an interference and is the result of a passed ball or a wild pitch should be governed by the award of first base to the batter and one base to any runner attempting to steal when the defensive interference occurs. 7.04(d) and 7.07.
"

Neither J/R not the MLBUM makes any distinction regarding whether the play "results from a ball being batted" but simply speak of allowing any "continuous action" following the CI.

I'm not sure if JEA is in disagreement with J/R & the MLBUM on this point or not. I guess in the absence of anything more definitive, I would be inclined to go with the JEA interpretation.

JM
Funny you brought that up because it was the part that was confusing to me.

BRD Sit 284 pg.179 "AO-38-284:RODER: A play, for purposes of ignoring catcher interference, does not require a batted ball.(email to cc,2/8/03)".

This along with the language in the 608c , had me wondering about this. If the ball is "delayed dead" then the action after the missed pitch, if considered a play, would result in the batter being on first and the R3 scoring. If it is not a play then the ball is dead, R3 remains and the batter is awarded first.

This does sound different then what JEA says about this. ?????????