View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
I'm not sure of your point, but I appreciate the koan.

I hope you can walk and chew gum. If you are listening to the radio in the car and you have to slam on breaks because someone cut you off, weren’t you thinking about the traffic at some level of consciousness, while still listening to the radio? Perhaps you’re not in tuned to the multiple levels of your mind.

Your example of putting your focus on the physics of how you were performing only allowed a different part of the brain to deal with the pain in your legs. Perhaps that was more beneficial for you, perhaps not. It all depends on how you are prepared with previous training. I personally have been trained quite successfully to efficiently moisturize my eyes completely subconsciously, with my blinking.
Walking and chewing gum at the same time??? Some people can do that??? Incredible....
I suppose that you can talk all day on other features of the body's autonomic system too....
But the point of my thread was to offer a simple and basic alternative to staying focused on the task at hand and helping to deal with those emotional moments that can sometimes distract us while we are doing our job... Nothing more nothing less..
Try it... It works... I'll be willing to bet that the next time you get into a colorful discussion with a coach you will forget all about it, if only for a second, while you figure out the count on the batter that's waiting for the next pitch...
BTW what's a koan???

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.