Thread: position
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Fastpitch mechanic.

Both the ASA and NFHS manuals state that the preferred position for calls at 1B is INSIDE. However, both state that the “Foul Ground Theory” should be used as an exception when you can’t get inside. ”Only on balls hit to the first-base player, the second-base player extreme left, or to a short right field, where the throw is coming to the first-base player from near the foul line, the umpire should stay outside the diamond in foul territory and move up the line to make the call. “

The NFHS manual goes on to describe several of the problems that can occur from this position – many of which Mike identified in his post. However, the manual states that “many of these difficulties can be overcome by not crowding the play. Maintain your distance from the base if possible for freedom of movement and peripheral vision.”

The obvious problem is the difficulty in covering 2B if the ball gets past F3 and the B-R advances. This must be covered in your pre-game. As PU, if I see my partner move into foul territory I will break off my “follow position” from 1B line to move closer to the pitcher’s plate. (Very similar to your movement when you have a runner at 1B and you may have to make a call at 3B.) If the ball gets away, the PU should go through the pitcher’s circle to make the call at 2B.

Though in theory covering 2B may be an issue, on the field it will seldom occur. Because of the angle of the throw coming to 1B, any overthrow is going right at the catcher. Thus the opportunity for the B-R to advance is minimal.

WMB