Thread: lost and found
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just me. Having learned both games semi-simultaneously, I've forced myself into the discipline of knowing the count all the time, and not needing a clicker. Now that I'm there, having one in my hand is actually a distraction. I have caught myself actually thinking, "Ok, it's 3-1.", then PU flashes 3-1, then for some reason 3 seconds later, I'm checking the indicator to make sure I have it set at 3-1.

Once I developed the mindset to have the count at all times without the clicker, I actually feel MORE in tune with the game. I realized after the fact that I used the clicker initially as a crutch, which let my focus fall off a little.

Now I'm stuck in what you might call baseball mode on this, even though 95% of my games the past 3 years have been softball. My brain goes through the same mental exercise after every pitch. "Count, outs, baserunners, special situations (like IFF), and what are the likely places I'll need to be shortly." Then - "Where are the fielders, and is anyone likely to get in my way (or am I likely to get in anyone else's way)"... and then "Baserunners in peripheral vision, focus on the pitcher's foot/release."

I'm stuck there. And honestly, the clicker is a distraction from my mental prep for each pitch.

So maybe it's just me.