View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
Originally posted by Alameda
Jello,

Ok, all of the parks I call in have NO batter's boxes. So, it's really a judgment call for us, and we do give the benifit of the doubt to the batter.

Here's my question.

Is the batter ALWAYS out if his bat makes contact with the ball, and he has a foot in front of the plate, but not making contact with it?

-------------------------------------------------------
Rule 7 - Batting
Section 6. The Batter is OUT.
D. When an entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box when the ball makes contact with the bat.
E. When any part of a foot is touching home plate when the ball makes contact with the bat.
-------------------------------------------------------

In section 3 of the same rule it says the batter shall not step in front of the catcher to the other batter's box...etc. So I don't think that rule can be applied here, since he's not making an attempt to goto the other batter box.

TYIA.
I watched a college game recently where the PU did something I didn't understand, and had not seen before. After sweeping off the plate, he would smooth the area directly in front of the plate. I wanted to ask him why he did so, but the answer struck me later on. I used this technique in a tourney this past weekend, and called a batter out for contact out of the box. No arguement from the coach, (he said she had done it before), but the batter was also the catcher. As she returned to the defense I asked her if she understood to which she replied she couldn't have been out of the box (she was thinking front of box). I had a footprint to show her, one and only print directly in front of the plate! This is a neat little trick.
well well well

learn something new every day.

There is one particular team I work in Fed ball that crowds the plate like nothing you ever seen.. man are they close and often..

Thanks.