View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alameda
Jello,

Ok, all of the parks I call in have NO batter's boxes. So, it's really a judgment call for us, and we do give the benifit of the doubt to the batter.

Here's my question.

Is the batter ALWAYS out if his bat makes contact with the ball, and he has a foot in front of the plate, but not making contact with it?

-------------------------------------------------------
Rule 7 - Batting
Section 6. The Batter is OUT.
D. When an entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box when the ball makes contact with the bat.
E. When any part of a foot is touching home plate when the ball makes contact with the bat.
-------------------------------------------------------

Remember, the batter's box is 6" off the plate. So, if you have a batter that has more than 3/4 of their foot directly in front of the plate, that is an easy call, out!

BTW, (Grey will love me for this one) the wording of the rule is a little confusing. The entire foot doesn't have to be touching the ground outside of the batter's box, but the entire part of the foot touching the ground at the time of contact is outside of the batter's box, then the batter should be ruled out.