View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a response to a scenario that I had in a game two weeks ago.

A RHP in the set position stepped directly towards first with his foot on the rubber. He was called for a balk. I was told that the only pickoff move that a righthander can make from the set position is to do a jump spin move. For the life of me, I couldn't find that in the rule book and neither could the umpire. This is the response the umpire got back from the coordinating umpire of the association. I'm baffled about this explanation.

Once the RH pitcher lifts the non-pivot foot even a milimeter [whatever the hell that is], he must deliver the pitch. The only way a right-handed pitcher can attempt a pick-off @ 1b without disengaging his pivot foot, is to move his non-pivot foot directly toward first base. Try it, it's almost an impossibility.

Good baserunners are correctly instructed to watch the non-pivot foot of the RH pitcher before attempting to steal or get further off their bag, and if the foot is lifted up, it is part of the beginning of the pitching motion and the pitcher cannot legally attempt a pick off.

Any enlightenment that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Especially since, I have viewed the "See a balk, Call a balk" video numerous times and have had my pitchers work with Major league and minor league pitchers on their delivery, holding on runners and pick-off moves and everyone seems to tell me that as long as the pitcher steps in the direction of the base it is a legal move as the rule states.