View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 02-03-2000 11:46 AM
I don't have the rule book location at hand, but this play is handled by the rule that says the thrower-in (or "inbounder") must throw the ball DIRECTLY onto the court. Since A's teammate was out-of-bounds, that was the same as the ball touching OOB first. So, since A1 failed to pass the ball directly onto the court for the throw-in, it was a violation. Team B gets the ball at the spot of the violation, which is on the baseline next to their basket. There might be a Casebook play that describes bringing the ball back to the spot of the throw-in if it wasn't touched, but regardless: If a violation occurred, the ball is always inbounded at the spot closest to the violation, which in this case is at the original throw-in spot.

Rule 7-6-1: "...The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in starts. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched."

"directly onto the court" means that it can't be a pass to a teammate OOB as is allowed after a goal nor may the ball bounce OOB before it crosses the boundary line.

The rule also says that it must "touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds)". Here it explicity says that the thrower has met the requirements even if the receiver is OOB. To confirm this, what if that receiver happened to be a defender (B). Would you call a violation on the thrower (A) and give the ball to B? If so, all a defender would have to do to get a turnover is to touch the throw-in while he/she were OOB. I really don't think this is the intent.

This topic was thouroughly discussed last summer. The conclusion then was, as I am suggesting, that the violation is on the player who touches the ball while OOB, not on the thrower. Therefore, the throw-in is at the spot of touching and not the original throw-in spot and is to be made by the team not making the touch.

[This message has been edited by Camron Rust (edited February 03, 2000).]