Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

HUH?

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
can someone untangle this for me:

FED 2-32-1-2(f) " A slide is illegal if the runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases."

Sounds like he MUST slide here, and of course, the slide must be legal.

but elsewhere, FED states a runner is NEVER forced to slide, but if he does, the slide must be legal (8-4-2(b) note).

Since I cant see offhand how a slide NOT on the ground can be legal (or is even a slide at all), how can 2-32-1-2 (f) be interpreted to NOT require a slide (in contradiction to 8-4-2(b))? Isnt that what the FPSR is all about?
THERE IS NO MUST SLIDE RULE.

In 2.32.2.2(f) If the runner DOES NOT slide on the ground, on a force play , in a direct line between the two bases, (Eg. At the fielder) then, the runner has committed an illegal slide.

The runner STILL has the option to NOT SLIDE, "but can not cause illegal contact or alter the actions of the fielder" See 8.4.2b

Read this again, I will admit it can be confusing.
OK, I am confused after reading several times so I'm just going to straight out ask. R1 is coming from 1st to 2nd on a grounder to second. As the Double Play is being turned, R1 runs right through 2nd base, no attempt to slide. In this sitch, are you saying that there is no FPSR?