View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

KWH,

I understand where you are coming from and I don't disagree with you completely. I think we both agree that there is nothing outside of 9.3.3 that would be illegal. Rule 9.9.3 covers any act which makes a travisty of the game. Now the question is, does this play make a travesty of the game?

I tried taking out the original comments on what the QB was thinking and concentrate on what actualy happens as seen from the eyes of the official.

In the case book coverage of 9.9.3, we know that A is trying to confuse B with his banter about missing a tee, etc. Without the banter, the play in the case book would be completely legal - it's the misleading comments that makes it illegal. In the play we are discussing, there are no comments but there are some actions and I guess the question is, are these actions goofy enough to make a travesty of the game? I'd have to see it for sure but I'm seeing it as a shift into a new formation and unless there is more than I picture in my mind, I don't think it's a travesty.

PS. Couldn't a quick count snap be considered as leading a defense into thinking a snap is not imminent?