View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
I disagree..

Remember those case book words, something to the effect of actions or verbage that make the defense beleive that the snap is not imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship, etc. ect.

The actions of the backs standing around pretending to have a conversation fits this to a "tee".
"Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and a snap isn't imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal."

This play sounds like it has elements of "unusual formations" and elements of "a snap isn't imminent" in it. Too close to call, hope it happens to someone else so they can post their call and the results here.

I would lean towards this being an unusual formation versus non-imminent snap because in the play from the casebook, there is conversation where they "forgot the tee" and "I'll go get it" like a snap won't happen until they return from the sideline with the tee. To me that is of the non-immnent snap design versus this play where they are all huddled around the center and there's a quick snap, as opposed to walking away from the center. I don't think I'd flag this myself.