Thread: HS Shot Clock
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
You have some good points. I think that having a three whistle crew would definitely improve the way the game is called as long as the officials know what they are doing.
Why do you think they wouldn't?
Let me give you a perfect example. The first year IL went to using 3-whistle in the post season, I was assigned with two other officials, both from a little outside my area. I happened to know one of them from doing JUCO ball, but the other I did not know. It turned out the official I didn't know had been working for years, but finally decided to apply for the post season and got his first ever assignment. It was also the first game he ever did 3-whistle. His "clinic" was in the car with the guy I knew on the way to the game. The game went along ok, with no big problems, but we had to continually adjust for his positioning, point to where he needed to go, etc. In any type of intense game this would've been a disaster.

That said, I agree if I had a choice between a shot clock and 3-whistle, I would pick 3-whistle every time. But there will be the problems with finding that many more experienced officials to cover all the available games. There will be the ones that have worked 2-whistle for years, but will be a "newbie" when it comes to 3. There will be that adjustment period for the experience level of the "pool of officials" to catch up.

(Used with permission.)