Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
Plate shoes from a different angle (pun intended).

This past weekend I called 13 ball games (Fri 2, Sat 4, Sun 7). Got hit 5 times on the right foot on the inside of the arch (half-way between the ankle and the heel). From what I can tell, there are no plate shoes that provide protection there. I am thinking about creating a custom protective device, unless anyone has suggestions for an alternative solution.
Alternative solution;

Point the toes of the right foot towards the pitcher, not at a 90 deg angle.
That advice would help protect the foot, but it is contrary to the stance preached by the ASA NUS, and what is taught in this area. To be most effective in working the slot, the closer you get to the catcher, the less the catcher can block your visibility, enabling the best and most consistent strike zone. Getting close to the catcher in the slot requires you to turn out the foot behind the catcher (at least a 45 degree angle), so that your knee turns out, instead of bumping the catcher when you drop to your set position at the top of the zone.

As a newer and learning umpire, I would hate to see Tony lose part of the zone because he had to back up, because he turned his foot. This foot is directly behind the catcher; half decent or better catchers will certainly stop the ball in the 5 hole. Sometimes, you just get a run of bad luck.
I dont' know which NUS member told you to point your foot like that but it wasn't done at the Advanced school or at any National Clinic I have attended in the last few years.

Maybe you "perceived" something that wasn't said.
What you descibe with the foot is non-standard and definately a good way to get whacked.
I get as close as anyone and at 6'5" my knee sticks out a bit but I don't interfere with the catchers.
Sounds to me like you are not using the proper position at all.