View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
How about both?
Not that I have a vast portfolio of experience to draw from, but I just don't see the HS shot clock making much of a difference the games I work. Sure, it has a cool factor associated with it that's largely driven by its presence in the NCAA and NBA. But a cool factor isn't the same as an improvement in the game.

Sure, there are expenses and hassles associated with it that dull its alure. But mostly I think HS ball is where players gain the experience necessary to make good decisions. I feel that the learning process is best achieved, for the largest number of kids, without the added pressure of having the shot clock. At higher levels, the emphasis is on executing on the skills athletes have already gained. There a shot clock makes sense.

Nor do I buy the arguments about the shot clock improving the HS game, making it more exciting and drawing larger crowds, thus making HS basketball programs more profitable, yadda yadda yadda. Sure, there is some boring HS ball. But, by and large, the style of play that has trickled down from the NCAA and NBA is naturally fast-paced enough already. As has been pointed out by them than have them, HS shot clocks aren't sounding very often.

HS gyms, at least in my area, are largely packed with family members, fellow students and alumni. These folks come primarily because they have a vested interest in the players, secondarily for the game. Yes, some programs have trouble drawing a crowd, even from the ranks of those interested in its players. I don't believe just adding a shot clock will solve these program's problem.

3-whistle crews, on the other hand, serve the game as it is. It produces better called games, more eyes off-ball and more officials aware of brewing situations. It tends to clean up rough play and better police sloppy play. In my limited experience, it tends to produce better played games and more interesting basketball. It adds additional value to the role we as officials play in meeting the desirable goals of HS athletics.

I'll take 3-whistle and leave the shot clock. JMHO

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Apr 18th, 2005 at 05:14
PM]
You have some good points. I think that having a three whistle crew would definitely improve the way the game is called as long as the officials know what they are doing.