View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2001, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Frankly, what's the reasoning here? An off the ball foul is a foul only if the shot taken at that time goes in?

I think that's a real hard sell. Me - I call the fouls I see.
I agree with Mark. The way it was explained to me is that there IS an advantage gained, even if the ball goes in. The advantage is the possibility of a rebound, not the rebound itself. If the foul is marginal, or near the beginning of the game, I suppose a warning might be enough, but otherwise you gotta call it.

Mark sounds like he's being a tough nut when you read what he posts here, but he doesn't carry it too far. Coaches know that when Mark walks through the door, they will get a game called tightly, but fairly. He is very, very good at it, and gets a lot of respect.
Referees can be respected for different reasons.

Coaches and players can respect an official who lets em' play also. You don't always need a whistle to control the game. Good communication skills and a mutual respect and understanding among players, coaches, and officials leads to a smoothly played and enjoyable game for everyone (officials, coaches, players, and fans).