Old Tue Jul 17, 2001, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Since this player was never discovered as an illegal sub when it occurred, you can't penalize him now for the past. You can only talk about the present.

The present being, he just a hit a home run in his proper spot in the batting order. That's a home run in my scorebook.

Freix
So Bob, is the above statement wrong?

Greg, the point I was trying to make with this statement is that if Jones reentered the game in the 3rd in the wrong batting slot, but was not reported in and was not discovered AT THAT TIME as an illegal sub, then the umpire really never knew that an illegal sub was in the game, did he????

Therefore, when Jones rectifies his error in 7th and bats in his correct batting order slot of 7th and hits his home run, it is legal. The fact that he had been in and out of the game as an illegal sub is meaningless unless it is discovered while he IS an illegal sub.

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my first post. Sorry I was away from this thread for awhile.

Freix

Greg, I added to the post this Fed caseplay for you to review:
    3.1.1 SITUATION J: S1 comes in for F7 in the second inning, but is not discovered. In the seventh inning, S1 comes in for F8 and is batting when the opposing team contends that S1 was a substitute earlier in the game. Ruling: Unless the umpire has knowledge that S1 had in fact been in the game earlier, S1 cannot be treated as an illegal substitute.

[Edited by Bfair on Jul 16th, 2001 at 07:17 PM]
So lets assume that the umpire does realize after reviewing his line up card, that F7 batted illegaly in the 2nd. He therefore would be considered an illegal sub in the 7th, correct?