View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: You are correct sir!

Quote:
Originally posted by rotationslim
Ref Ump Welsch got it right, it is Water Polo.

BTW, I can't figure out how they ref the thing, the players are beating each other ALL the time, and on rare occasions they blow the whistle. I can't figure out what is an acceptable assault and battery on opponent, and what is penalized.

...It is a great sport, my daughter got involved and it is really fun to watch, and she sure loves playing.

I hope your daughter is wearing a one-piece swimming suit. THe men's polo I saw when the Olympics were on TV included a lot of "pantsing". I don't think children should have to handle that!

I think the refs stand along the edge and can see pretty much straight down. At least, that's how it appeared on TV. They'd probably get a better angle from a window in the side of the pool. But then the players would have to wear numbers on their butts, I suppose.

When I saw it on TV, I thought it was interesting that there was almost never any specification of who committed the infraction, but everyone just seemed to know. You'd hear a whistle, see a pair of hands go up (the confession), and play would go forward. It looked like a lot of A/D was used.