View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking holleree

That's funny, I didn't realize that they were hollering at ME all this time. I thought they were cheering for me. They do the same thing to the players except in a slightly more polite tone of voice. What's funny is the fact that they would nver say anything to your face. I worked the Junior Nationals in Las Vegas last week. I was in the auxillary gym most of the time, so the two rows of beachers were 3 feet behind the team benches/scorers table. They do not start the hollering (or cheering as I thought it was) until the game gets heated up a little. Then at half time we would go sit by the scorers table, practically right next to all the fans, and they would not say anything at all. Then the second half would be a couple minutes underway before they start yelling. It actually only takes one fan, usually the really big big type who has a voice that booms over the loudest crowd. We were fortunate to have one of those at a couple of our games (for our chuckling pleasure). To my partners I nicknamed him Tubbo. He was a parent with the California Elite Gold team. I feel sorry for his daughter because she had to have been embarassed by his stupidity. He was trying to intimidate us too--and I was a little worried that he might just lose his temper and come over and sit on both of us.
My partner even made a very loud very obvious offensive foul call in the Elite's favor, and while we took a time out so the injured Elite player could find her tooth after getting three of her braces knocked off, Tubbo sat up there and muttered "you missed the call" I looked up at him and he looked me with an evil tone and slightly pointed his finger at me and repeated "Yes, YOU missed the call." I chuckled and, though I'm not in the habit of amusing fans by replying to them, I told him "Yes, I am not in the habit of calling obvious fouls in my partner's area, but I do agree with him on THE FOUL THAT HE CALLED." Tubbo didn't even know that my partner called the foul. How stupid do they get? After the game he came up and told me that I needed a rule book. Does anyone have an extra?