Thread: My partner ??
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

JV H.S. Game. I am PU. During the game several close calls. One of which is a runner overunning 1st base and turning to go when the ball got by F3. He changed his mind and went back to 1st only to be tagged by F3 before he got there. BU looks at me and makes no call. I say nothing and he calls me out. Offense is screaming safe, Defense is screaming out ( what a surprise ! ).We consult and he says he didn't see the turn ( what WAS he watching? ). I assure him that the runner made the motion, saw the ball, and realized he couldn't make it. In turning he became eligible to be put out. We seperate and he makes the " out " call. Bottom of 7th inning and this team, which was up by 9 runs, now gives up 10 and loses. I am anxious to leave. My partner is standing between the plate and the rubber watching teams shake hands. I call to him by name twice thinking he is looking for me. He waits til coaches have finished with each other and he waves goodbye to the losing coach. Now Coach has the time to question our call. He politely asks and I tell him I saw play differently than my partner and when he asked for help I gave it. Coach goes ballistic, says that's bu*****t, and starts on me. I start to walk away and my " partner ' starts jawing with him trying to explain rule on runner overunning 1st. When we finally meet up in the parking lot, he tells me I shouldn't pi** off coaches like that. I walked away and left him there still talking to himself. There is a lot more I could share about this guy like him " forgetting " his cup and asking me to do the plate, after I was already dressed for the field, him jawing with the fans on the 1st base fence - during the game in A position, etc.

Questions: Was I wrong to want to get out of there?

Was I wrong to explain my decision once I got stuck there?

Was I wrong to leave my jawing partner ( after I repeatedly tried to get him to leave with me )?

Also please give any insight into what else I should have or should not have done.

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio