View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:23pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
[i]In live action, I thought this was an easy PC foul. Only after seeing others early comments did I review it in slow motion and realize it wasn't so easy. [/B]
Are you saying that you took the time to open up the file, look at the play and didn't make a solid judgement one way or the other until you read something someone else posted?

These plays are great opportunities to work on breaking down film. Looking at different players over and over is a luxury we will not have on the court but the ability to see plays like this is a valuable learning tool to use.

I still stand by what I said earlier, the second video was closer to being a block than the first one. In the second video both players changed direction and the dribbler was trying to go around the defender instead of through him. At the same time defender was trying to draw contact. When looking at the offensive player in both plays I tried to imagine what would have happened if they (the offensive player) would have done something to avoid contact. In the first play that would have been to go straight up and down. In the second play that would have been to totally alter his course with the dribble. In the first play there probably wouldn't have been enough contact to call a foul, in the second play there would have been. Also, if you do the same thing with the defenders then the first play is still similar to what happened since it is already questionable that the defender was barely moving if at all. On the secon play if the defender would have stopped to avoid contact there probably wouldn't have been any contact. I hope that wasn't jumbled up. Sometimes it is easier to say and/or think something than it is to type it.