View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

The key positition is NOT the feet. Otherwise, a player could belly up, lean, extend hips, etc. Feet down is a factor in LGP but not the only factor. If the point of contact is moving towards the dribbler...block.
I thought it was a key, along with the principal of verticality. I agree with your point on leaning, extending hips, etc., because that is moving outside the defender's vertical plane. I guess what I'm saying is strictly using the phrase "torso moving towards the dribbler" is not an automatic block. Maybe this is a limited example, but what if the defender has got his feet to a spot on the floor first, (slightly ahead of his body), the offensive player tries to step over or past the feet, and the contact occurs when the defender's body gets to that area directly above his feet, still within that vertical plane. The defender's body did move into the dribbler, but isn't the dribbler responsible for the contact? I guess another extreme or limited example could be if a defender B1 is squatting down (maybe starting to get up after a hard screen), and the dribbler A1 tries to jump over the defender. If B1 stands up and contacts A1 within his vertical plane, isn't the foul on A1?

Anyway, that's why I like discussing the videos, because it's a way to actually view a situation and hear other opinions as to what should (or should not) be called.
I think that that B1 raising up wouldn't be a block...verticality...can always raise/jump vertically. This is different than the torso moving horizontally. The only permitted horizontal directions of movement are lateral and away.

In live action, I thought this was an easy PC foul. Only after seeing others early comments did I review it in slow motion and realize it wasn't so easy.