Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbfoulds
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
SNIP///

But I added this example to a balk thread to empasise a point:

There are balks that NF wants called by reasoning it is not allowed per pitching rule.
Conversely, Plate celebrations are allowed because there is no prohibition per rule.

So when I see something not specifically covered in the rule book do I
1.Prevent it because not allowed, or
2. Allow it because not prohibited??????
See, there's your poblem: the gorilla arm is specifically prohibited by rule [complete with penalty - balk] - pitcher's arm must be @ his side or behind his back. Only, until this year damn near no-one called it, 'cause it's a "don't do that" in OBR. As far as I can recollect, there are no "unenumerated" balks in the FED canon: every balk is for violation of a specific requirement or prohibition; thus if it's not outlawed, it's permitted.

Choose 2.
CB
I see three separate points in you post to address so I will do so individually instead of in one long post.

1. I do not admit that in the gorilla stance the arm is in front. I say it is still at his side so he conforms with the rule. If any part of the arm conforms to the rule then pitcher is OK. Can a pitcher get his WHOLE arm behind his back. NO. Try it. I would bet no matter how hard you try the only part of your arm you can get behind your back is from the elbow to the tip of the fingers. If he can conform to that part of the rule with only a portion of his arm actually behind his back then we have to conclude if only a portion of the arm is at his side he also conforms.