View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

This is a great breakdown, but the part that worries me is how do we translate this to real-time? When we see the play for the first time (and only time), and react based on the info and angle that we have, we make the decision. We don't have the luxury of being able to pull out a piece of paper and watch the players do it again. ("Oh, wait, #23 can you do that move one more time, but do it slower for me?") I try to react on visual "clues", such as the position of the defender's feet, was the contact in the torso, etc.
The way to get this back into the game is to review plays in slow-motion and adjust judgement for future plays the look the same.

If the defender was moving forward, there will be a slight delay betwen the feet hitting the ground and the body coming to a stop.

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

As for the feet being ahead of the torso, and the torso of the defender moving forward at the time of contact - isn't the key the position of the feet? If the feet got to the spot on the floor, and contact was made in that "cone of verticality" (oh, oh..) above the feet, I don't think it matters if the body is moving forward and "catching up" to the feet.
The key positition is NOT the feet. Otherwise, a player could belly up, lean, extend hips, etc. Feet down is a factor in LGP but not the only factor. If the point of contact is moving towards the dribbler...block.