View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Two plays that could probably be called either way.

In the first play the defender is NOT moving forward and moves into position with his hands up to play defense. The offensive player slightly dips his shoulder which is something I'm not so sure he would have done with a clear path to the basket. PLUS, the kid takes the contact in the torso. Close but with the benefit of replay I think it's a PC foul.
At first I thought it was a PC foul....until I played it back in very slow motion. The defender's torso was then clearly moving forward at the time of contact.

Dipping of the shoulder is only a clue...not a foul by itself. It only matters if (among other things) the defender has LGP.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

In the second play both the offensive and defensive players change direction. The defensive player is still moving slightly and has his hands in front of himself to brace for the contact. The offensive player is trying to go to the left and the movement with his right arm indicates to me that he really wanted to go around the defensive player instead of through him. After looking at the video a whistle is needed either way. This play is closer to me.
I didn't think this one was close at all. Defender was clearly moveing obliquely away (to the side and backing up) from the dribbler. He had both feet down before the step to the right where contact occurred. Direct torso contact.