Thread: Gorilla Stance
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hey Daryl,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I was talkin' to your brothers . . . never mind old joke.

You are one funny dude.

If I read your stuff correctly you said you talked to NF "people" . . .

Did ya talk to Elliot, or Kyle, or maybe Brewer?

Just want to talk to the same folks you did and check your information.

Just post who ya talked to, thanks in advance.

Tim,

I have been umpiring for 25 years. My conversations with the FED people happened in the mid to late 80's. When I originally posted I struggled mightily with just saying "FED people" because I know too many officials who are name droppers. But I saw no other way to address my point.

I can only be honest and tell you I cannot remember specifically who I talked to then (it may have been Brice Durbin, or John Hilsenteger, or Marty Ondrovic) nor do I have the letter (from Brad Rumble) sent to me with their explanations.

As you mentioned, maybe Kyle or Elliott or Brewer can shed some light on the direction the rules committee is going pertaining to balks. Since I do not know them I will give them the benefit of the doubt they can show me rules support for a prohibition to pitcher's actions that is a more concrete answer than "not specifically allowed'.

I wrote to NF for 10 straght years to address the balk rule. Finally I gave up. Now, low and behold they finally ease up a little in 2005. At that rate the next time NF may ease up again on balks will be 2030. (last sentence just a little joke).

Back then no forum, no e-mail, or other avenues like this to guage the sentiment of other umpires on this very same topic. With slow mail more often that not I never received a reply.

If you think my rant was over the top a little then I can accept that and apolgize. I work softball, basketball, and football also and my current pet peeve with the basketball rules committee far surpasses my problems with baseball.