View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Smile

Bob Gingerich,

I am compelled to agree with Macaroo (as well as your partner/assignor). I understand that you said Fed and not OBR, but I don't have access to the Fed rules at the moment. I will however provide you "backup" with the following OBR cites (Fed does not differ from OBR in respect to the rules governing this situation).

A batter is out when_ (a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder; (b) A third strike is legally caught by the catcher; "Legally caught" means in the catcher's glove before the ball touches the ground.

and

Rule 2.0 A BALL is a pitch which does not enter the strike zone in flight and is not struck at by the batter. If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a "ball." If such a pitch touches the batter, he shall be awarded first base. If the batter swings at such a pitch after two strikes, the ball cannot be caught, for the purposes of Rule 6.05 (c) and 6.09 (b). If the batter hits such a pitch, the ensuing action shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.

You can also check Rule 2.0 "Catch" and "In Flight" as well as 6.09(b).

Although "commonly" referred to as a "dropped third strike", it is much better to "think of it" as a "third strike not caught" (because that's what it really is). Your situation illustrates why.

If I were you, I would take this "backup" to my assignor/partner to demonstrate to him that you are the type of umpire who is willing to look into it when there's a question about the validity of a call you made and that you're still willing to learn. But hey, that's just what I'd do.

Kaliix,

He said there were 2 outs!

JM

(Edited to correct typo)

[Edited by CoachJM on Apr 13th, 2005 at 11:36 AM]