View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 05:51am
Huck Finn

Two plays that could probably be called either way.

In the first play the defender is NOT moving forward and moves into position with his hands up to play defense. The offensive player slightly dips his shoulder which is something I'm not so sure he would have done with a clear path to the basket. PLUS, the kid takes the contact in the torso. Close but with the benefit of replay I think it's a PC foul.
In the second play both the offensive and defensive players change direction. The defensive player is still moving slightly and has his hands in front of himself to brace for the contact. The offensive player is trying to go to the left and the movement with his right arm indicates to me that he really wanted to go around the defensive player instead of through him. After looking at the video a whistle is needed either way. This play is closer to me.

Using the videos we can sort of see what the the defensive players intended to do. While the feet don't have to be set, the feet along with the rest of the body can give away some things. I don't think I would have my hands straight up with a big man coming at me with a slightly lowered shoulder if my intent was to draw a charge. However, I always see players playing D with their hands straight up in the air. Plus, I think his feet were set. In the second play I think the player is trying to draw a charge. Was the dribbler attempting to take a path to avoid the contact and was the defender attempting to take a path to create contact. I think so.