Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Example 1: The rule says the pitcher shall take his sign with his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate. It does not say he can shake his head yes or no to accept or reject the sign. But that is allowed.
That has to be the dumbest example ever. The rule also dosen't say anything the pitcher being alowed to have his jaw move if he is chewing gum. And yet the Federation allows this. What are they coming to?

Quote:
The rules committee has constantly taken the fun out of the game with ridiculous rules all under the guise of player safety. Prohibiting huddling, players on field during DEAD BALL to congratulate a home run hitter, et.al. I'm all for player safety but they are taking it way too far. The sport has inherent risks and if anyone is so afraid of litigation then get off the field.
No one on the field? Really? You sure? The ball is dead.

Quote:
Back to balks: In announcing the new rule allowing the pitcher to turn shoulders the NFHS Rules committee patted themselves on the back, commending themselves for providing ONE LESS WAY TO BALK. (See cover page of NFHS/RefereeMagazine Baseball Guide 2005)

That my friends still leaves 29 ways to balk in HS. What is wrong with that picture?

You don't see a problem with 29 ways to balk????
So you are ripping the FED for getting rid of a rule which you didn't like? What is wrong with this picture?

No I don't. I do have a problem with uneducated people who rant about how bad the Federation is.

[Edited by LDUB on Apr 12th, 2005 at 01:39 AM]
1. Dumb example or not at least mine was baseball related. But be that as it may you prove my point exactly. As I said earlier, in my previous conversations with NF people the very reason they gave for the prohibition was the absence of being specifically allowed. Yet, we can all come up with examples that are not "specifically allowed" but are in reality "allowed" by the NF. When they can not even apply their own LOGIC for the interpretations consistently then the integrity of the rules are compromised.

2. You seem shocked that the activities I mentioned pertaining to taking the fun out of the game are even a concern by the NF. Let this ol' uneducated person enlighten you.

The following rules are being cited to prohibit huddles and home plate celebrations even during DEAD BALL. These are cases where I actually lean toward faulting the local and State interpreters rather than NF. But I do not see the NF doing anything to stem the tide. They see it as a positive reaction to the POE which in turn will allow the NF to avoid rule legislation to quell celebrations.

Rule 3-3-1j
Case 3.3.1 Situation H (logic is that since the ruling specifically say "at all times" then this means during both live ball and dead ball.
Points of Emphasis: FIELD CONDUCT pg 67 NFHS Rule book.

Comment: Many wrongly think the purpose of the point of emphasis is to get the umpires to stop the teams from celebrating at home plate. I have talked to many interpreters at both the state and local levels and they all are under the impression that it is specifically prohibited and are telling umpires in their jurisdictions to not allow it. The interpreters tell me that is the way it was explained to them from the NF Rules committee.

The fact is, there is no prohibition to prevent a team from congratulating a home run hitter at home plate while the ball is dead. The prohibition is when the ball is alive. The purpose of the point of emphasis is to encourage sporting behavior during the dead ball while the team is at home plate.

3. Please do not confuse my "ripping the FED" to be synonomous to I think it is OK to ignore FED interpretaions and umpire games according to "my own rules".

While I disagree with the interpretation I will call a balk on any pitcher who goes into a "gorilla stance". That is the ruling per NFHS baseball rules Interpretations #5 found on NF web site.

I rip the FED when they make rulings based on faulty logic.
I rip the FED when they do not apply their LOGIC consistently.
I rip the FED for making rules too complex for lesser skilled players and for that matter for umpires who are so overwhelmed at their complexity.
I rip the FED when they make a rules interpretation which directly violate another rule.
I rip the FED when they CHANGE rules through Editorial CLarifications.

On the contrary, "ripping the FED" when necessary is what EDUCATED people do. It shows they have a passion for the integrity of the rules. It shows they have spent many hours in study, realizing how their intracasies and nuances are so intertwined with one another that they come together to form a perfect body. They realize that the prostitution of even one minute point can render the whole body to chaos. it is the educated person who tries to prevent this chaos.

Uneducated people accept whatever is told to them. They don't study. They don't question. They are blind.

With that in mind I make it my priority to study the rules that I may know them, then I can approve those interpretaions which are excellent and according to rule, and also disprove those which dishonor the purity of the rule. I am confident I can be a guide to the blind, and a light to those who are in darkness.

So much to correct, so little time. Maybe after I finish my taxes.