View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my two cents...I do both Basketball and base ball, basketball is my primary.

"Rita put it nicely, stating that umpires are observers, and referees are "tattlers".

No one likes a rat, I guess"

kylejt and rita have it on the money. In baseball there is a call on every play...ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out, etc. Someone may disagree with that call but the umpire is usually right then the game moves on. In theory, you could have a basketball game without a single call if none of the players committ fouls, throw the ball out of bounds, etc. If a coach argued every ball/strike call that was wrong he might comment on ten calls the whole game (if the PU is having a bad day : )). If a ref consistently has a good no call that a coach thinks is a foul, he's going to bicker all game. If a fan doesn't understand traveling he's going to complain every time he incorrectly thinks there's a travel.

Basketball judgements are "if" decisions, baseball judgements are "either/or" decisions. The very nature of the calls/no calls themselves lend to argument in basketball, but not necessarily in baseball. In a typical at-bat you will have about 4-6 calls to make, on a typical possesion, if you include no calls on contact, and include fan bias, you have many more decisions than that to make that are debateable in the fan/coaches mind. My blabber is now complete. Hope this makes sense. Peace.