View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
In play 1, it's the batters actions of trying for first (an action he's allowed to make) that cause the contact. Thus, no penalty.

In play 2, it's the batter's actions "after" the swing (an action he's not allowed to make) that cause the contact. Thus, a penalty.

Thanks Bob.

For me this conversation actually started on another forum and the play was ...

Runner on 3rd. F5 is playing up the line in front of the runner. Line shot between F5 and the line. Runner retreats back towards 3rd. F5 boots the ball and it ibounds into foul territory. As F5 turns to follow the ball he runs into the back of the retreating runner.

The person I was talking with had been told by a clinician that the proper call was "Time. Interference. The runner is out!"

I don't know how anyone else feels, but I just could not fathom making such a call. I would have live ball and F5 better hurry up because the runner is going to change his mind and head for home pretty quick.

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

I have no interference - the fielder is not 100% protected since he has muffed the original attempt to field the ball, and the ball is now out of his immediate reach. Only INT call here for me would be blatant intentional, which isnt present here (runner attempting to return to the bag).