View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: mixing rules

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

Is this what you tried to tell me, Bob? I'm slow but eventually I can usually figure things out.
No, that's not what I tried to tell you, and I don't see what a "foul tip" has to do with the situation.

The OBR rule (sometimes called "weak interference") is somewhat different.
Casebook 2.21.1C
This is a dropped third strike situation and the catcher has dropped the pitch. (It has hit the ground and a catch can no longer be made.) After being dropped, the ball bounds into the batter-runner's basepath. Although unintentional contact is made by the BR, the casebook says the ball remains live.

Casebook 7.3.5F
This is also a dropped third strike situation. However, this time the pitch has bounced off the catcher's mitt and into the air. (Until the ball hits the ground, this still meets the definition of a foul tip.) A legal catch can still be made and a caught third strike can still result in an out. However in this scenario, the batter interferes with the completion of the catch because his backswing/follow-through hits the ball. The catcher can no longer complete the catch and score an out. In this case it is only appropriate that interference be called and the batter be ruled out.

This makes sense to me. However, you said
Quote:
it's the batter's actions "after" the swing (an action he's not allowed to make) that cause the contact. Thus, a penalty.
Although I don't see a specific rule, I understand the batter is not allowed to hit the ball twice. This is a safety issue - you can't pop one up and then take another swing at it as it falls; the catcher will be trying to make a catch at this point. Hence rule 7-3-5c: A batter shall not interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing by making any other movement which hinders actions at home plate or the catcher's attempt to play on a runner,...

Is interfering with the catcher's fielding the action you are saying is not allowed? A follow-through or backswing are not specifically disallowed. I would think that kicking a ball that the catcher has dropped would also be interfering with his fielding - but again the casebook differentiates between these two specific actions (unintentionally kicking a dropped third strike ball and untentionally hitting an as yet uncaught third strike). The first is not penalized as interference and second one is.

Or are you saying that follow-through or backswing cannot be considered unintentional? The case book seems to hint at this. The last statement of 7.3.5F is, "Once the batter swings, he is responsible for his follow-through."

Sorry Bob, maybe I'm slower than I thought.