Thread: College Protest
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Hickman
IMO... The runner should never been called out. Is there a rule that says that on a BB (award), the runner on base needs to advance to the awarded base in a straight line and cannot deveate from the baseline? NO! It would look strange, but the runner @ 2nd could walk directly towards the mound and then turn and go to 3rd without any penalty.
If he crossed the foul line... thats a diffent issue.
Why is it a different issue? What makes the foul line special?
What if R3, while taking his award, "crossed the foul line"?

I think you pretty much have to make them enter the dugout -or- by their action, they show the clear intent of not assuming their running responsibilities. (EXAMPLE: Runner slides into 2nd and is called safe but he thinks he was called out to end the inning. So, he trots out to right field (his position) and waits for one of his teammates to bring out his hat and glove.)

When a runner seemingly abandons his efforts to run the bases, you almost have to put a "clock" on him to see if he resumes his running responsibilities within a reasonable time.

If the runner is briefly under some kind of misconception that causes him to think he no longer needs to the run the bases, and he comes to his senses in a reasonable amount of time - I would not be quick to call him out for abandonment ... as long as he never entered the dugout.

In my mind, I'd be like a basketball referee making sure the offense gets the ball past half court within 10-seconds.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Apr 8th, 2005 at 01:36 PM]