View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2001, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by L.G. Dorsey
Greg,

Discretion is the better part of valor. If you see lightning, then get everybody off the field. It doesn't matter what the coaches think. I had one game this year where we saw lightning and got everybody off the field. It drizzled for a while and the lightning went around the field and off in the distance. We got the players back on the field and 15 minutes later we had to pull them off for good because we got hammered with rain. THe second time I waited because I wasn't sure how close the lightning was. I was lucky, I should have gotten them off the minute I saw it. Here in NC, we had a 12 year old struck by lightning a couple of weeks ago while standing on 3B in the middle of a game. Luckily, he's going to be OK. There were some differing opinions as to how quick the storm came up, but you can see that you don't need to mess around when it comes to lightning...

Lawrence

In Denver, we have been get lightning storms about every night. If we stopped for every storm that was close, we would never get a game in. I think, unfortunately, there is some risk in playing baseball in a state where lightning is commonplace. However, I do my best to get everyone off when I think there is real danger. Unfortunately, its hard to tell when to keep on playing or not.