Thread: College Protest
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
There's nothing wrong with having different sets of rules. It is when FED makes changes for reasons other than
1)increased participation/substitution
2)force play slide
3)malicious contact
4)equipment specifications
that they are likely making changes for the sake of making changes.

OBR work fine the large majority of the time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
This seems to be one of those, "There is no reason for FED to be different than OBR" rules.

Making changes for the sake of making changes...

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by jxt127
According to J/R this is not a time play. As long as the BR touches 1st base and R3 touches home the run scores.
That's true for OBR, not true for FED -- and I don't know for NCAA (which this was).
I'm not sure why having different rule sets is that big of a deal -- we deal with it in every other sport, too.
I hate to sound like a FED apologist, but what about when OBR changes the rules -- should the FED just go along with those changes? I mean, balks used to be immediately dead in the pro book.....maybe FED has it right.

Most of the time I hear these complaints, it's from umpires that really don't study ANY of the rules (this is not directed toward anyone here, just a general observation). We had a meeting of umpires last week where some guys that have been calling college ball for 25 years tried to apply the FED balk rule to games played under OBR (they argued that all balks are immediately dead). It's just sad.

Most of the rule differences are easy to remember if one just takes the time to learn the differences in the first place. Even so, before my first college game this season, I looked through the rules that I always seem to forget -- number of conferences allowed, for example. Once I'm on the field, I know exactly what I need to know. I hope.

It sounds like this protest situation doesn't have ANY specific language covering it for NCAA rules. Except in J/R, that is, and that has nothing to do with NCAA rules. Of course, I haven't had the time to actually research this....but when the HS rules specifically require the runners to advance to the next base and the other rulesets are pretty quiet about the whole thing, I can understand why the umpires ruled as they did.

--Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Apr 7th, 2005 at 12:58 PM]