View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2001, 01:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Last Saturday, I worked with a guy who told me the story of two coaching morons he had this past season in high school games. He didn't tell me the schools, but both were JV boys level.

Moron one: less than two minutes to play. Team A is up by 1. They score to go up 3. Team B inbounds and Coach B requests a timeout. Ref asks coach if he's sure, coach nods head. Timeout is called. The problem is that about two minutes earlier team B had their final timeout and the coach was definitely told. Ref grants timeout and calls T. Coach asks why and is told. A1 goes to line, misses both shots. Team A inbounds and throws the ball away. Team B inbounds and misses shot. Team A also misses shot. (Don't ask why they took a shot, that's another story) Team B inbounds and Coach B requests another timeout!!! Ref thought he was kidding. But Coach B is insistent. Same thing happens, but this time A1 makes both free throws, team A inbounds and A2 is fouled on the shot, which goes in and makes free throw. Team B fails to score at horn and game is over. Team A wins by 8. After the game, ref asks Coach B why he requested the second timeout and he says he was hoping that team A would miss both free throws again and throw the ball away again. Ref explains they should just have fouled (not intentionally). Coach says he never thought of that!

Moron 2: Coach A is chipping the entire game at both refs, however A1 hits shot at horn to win game by 2. Immediately, Coach A gets in ref's face and calls him every name in the book, including "M-F". Ref calls T. Coach A says he can't because the game is over. Ref says "Oh yeah - look it up." Ref explains to Coach B that the game is not over and his team can shoot two free throws. At first, Coach B doesn't understand and B1 explains it to him! (Maybe Coach B is Moron 2 1/2) B1 then goes to line (this is in B's gym) and makes both shots to tie game. Crowd doesn't quite understand what happened until PA announcer explains it, then they go wild (all 30 of them - remember this was a JV game). Coach A says he will protest and sends letter to league office. Ref says to play overtime, Coach A refuses and takes team off floor. Ref declares forfeit and awards win to B. After hearing ref's explanation, not only is the decision upheld, but Coach A is suspended for two games!