View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_s_n
For what it's worth - on vacation with the kids last week, we were out under the awning of our trailer waiting for a storm to pass. Two of us were touching the trailer with our feet on the ground. I saw a flash (1/4 mile away?) and started to count as suggested - I don't recall hearing thunder as I was waiting for it. But as I was leaning against the trailer, I felt a surge similar to what is felt when one puts a 9 volt battery on ones tongue. I wouldn'nt have believed it had not the other kid acted as surprised as I was at what we both experienced. Had we not been both touching the trailer at the same time, I doubt this would have happened.
I never heard the thunder I was waiting for.
I understand counting to estimate distance of the thunder, but it ain't the thunder that worries me. :-)

With the lightning bolt that close, you won't ever hear the thunder. That's what you hear when the bolt goes "CRAAAACK!!!!!" After that the Thunder is already past you.

Here in Florida we have plenty of lightning, all the time. We stop games all the time. Several years ago we had seven(?) kids killed on a football practice field in Miami. And it wasn't even raining.

For anybody interested, check out this website:

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/week.htm

Lots of good information.

Thom/FL