View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
1)I was just wondering how other umpires feel about this topic(to delay or not delay)?
Always default to delay. I understand that nothing has killed more people at baseball games than lightning.

I have been told that lightning can strike up to 11 miles away from the center of a storm. Even if it is not raining where you are, you could still be in danger of being struck.

When you delay because of lightning, always send players to their cars or some proper building with walls and a roof. The car can act like a Faraday Cage, and protect the occupants. That does not ensure you will not be struck, but it is the safest place to be next to a house or building. Do not, under any circumstances, let players remain in their dugouts. (In higher level leagues - 18+ - all you can do is tell them. If they choose to remain in an unsafe place it's not your fault. Don't try to order them to their cars or anything.)

Quote:
2)I was also curious if anyone has ever officiated a game where lightning struck a player or umpire?
Nope. Not me. I watched a transformer on a utility pole get struck while sitting in my car in the parking lot of a field, but no humans were injured. The concession did lose its power requiring a repairman, but that was the extent of the damage.

Quote:
3)What are the statistics of getting hit by lightning on a baseball field?
According to the Boston Museum of Science web site, only 100 people or so total per year are killed by lightning. The most likely to be hit would be a farmer.

Quote:
4) How do you know if the lightning is close or not?
If you see it, it's too close.

Quote:
5) Do you ignore the lightning and continue playing or will you delay the game immediately?
Delay immediately.