View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Gre144

In Denver we get a lot of lightning in the afternoon. Often coaches and umpires that I have worked with do not want to delay a game even if the lightening is right over the field. I always feel pressured to continue playing no matter how close the lightning is.

1)I was just wondering how other umpires feel about this topic(to delay or not delay)?

4) How do you know if the lightning is close or not?

Greg had this situation yesterday. We saw lightening, stopped the game and then waited. If storm passes, continue (provided there is still light of coarse).

I'm not a weatherman and we all know how right they are. A baseball game isn't worth it should we guess wrong. Let the storm pass and continue, otherwise wait for another day.

I know the problem, coaches do not want to spend money on another game FEE for the officials, but that's really not our problem.

Also you said the umpires did not want to stop game even if lightening is directly over the field. I do not understand that one. Also, it's been my experience, parents start screaming if you do not get the kids off the field whenever they see lightening.

God forbid something happens, what is this group of umpires and people running the league going to tell the judge.

I know you feel pressure if other blues refuse to stop game, but this is somthing that should be brought up at your meetings. It only takes one incident. IMO not worth it.

Pete Booth