View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 10:48am
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
I have been officiating now for a few years and reading this board for a while. I had never worked with or observed the arrogant officials that are sometimes mentioned on this board - until today.

My son's regular coach was out of town so I agreed to coach his team for a tournament. During the game a player from the opposing team gets the ball in the lane and loses his balance. One foot was in the air and he took a little hop with the other. An obvious travel from my angle. I asked the official about it and he said the pivot foot didn't move. I said I guess we just had different angles on the play then. Fine, play on. As the game progresses the fans start to make comments. Nothing personal or vulgar just little things we all hear from fans. After every call against my team he starts putting his hand up to his ear like he's listening for comments. After he tired of this he informs me that he will call a bench technical if the comments continue. I didn't even know most of the people in the stands. The game ended up going into three overtimes. Tie game. My team in the bonus. Four seconds left in the second overtime period. My team in bounds and is dribbling up the sideline. My player gets three dribbles across the half line and gathers himself to shoot. Defensive kid comes up and initiates enough contact to knock my player down. No call. The crowd goes wild. I ask why no call? Official says "I'm not going to decide the game on a play like that, the players are going to decide the game". I shake my head in disbelief and turn away. I have finally met one of those nameless arrogant officials that coaches on this board complain about.
HEY - I was just having a bad day, OK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?