Thread: Advice, please
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hello all,

I am a new poster to this forum, but have used information found here for a year or so now. I am seeking some advice on a situation that occurred today.

I am in my second year of calling high school baseball, although I have called football and basketball a little bit longer. I am the first to admit I am still learning, and sometimes I make mistakes. In any case, I was assigned a JV-V doubleheader today for AA schools here in NM. Coach for the home team is a football referee and the basketball group leader in our local association. Pre-game meeting, I inform both coaches that my partner and I will not tolerate coaches arguing judgement calls. Game goes well until the fifth inning, when visitors gain the lead. Home team steps up to bat in the bottom of the 5th, two batters go down swinging, third on called strike 3 to the outside of the plate, very pretty pitch. To this point I had called the game evenly, and my zone had not changed. Top 6, 6 pitches come inside, and these are pitches which, to this point, I had called balls. I called these balls as well, and the home team coach became more agitated with each one. After 6th pitch, he yells "DAMNIT" as he leaves the dugout to change pitchers. He is about two feet away from me and yelling changes at me. I say, "That's enough, Coach." He yells again, and again I warn him. Third time, I toss him.

He tries to appeal to my partner, but my partner turns him away. As he leaves the field, he yells at me, "I never want to see you on my field again." I respond, "You're gone, Coach." He yells, "I never want to see you again." I call ballgame.

Keeping in mind what I said about him being FB and BkB official, I feel I game him ample opportunity to back down. Can anyone advise me on what would have been a better way to handle this, and, more importantly, how to handle anything that might, and probably will come up with this person in the upcoming football and basketball seasons? I know this is a baseball board, butany advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Once again, I appreciate the help.

Thanks.