Thread: Ethics
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Three issues come to mind when faced with this type of situation.

First, the games that are played at the "lower levels" are just as important to those kids, parents, coaches, and fans as those at the varsity level. Obviously, most officials start out working rec ball or middle school games. But we get into a routine of thinking, "It's just a middle school game. If he screws up, it's no big deal." It's a good place to learn, grow, and mature but that doesn't lessen the need for solid rules knowledge.

Second, there's need. In my area, there is a huge need for softball and baseball umpires. I know my way around a basketball and a football rule book but I wouldn't know where to start with many of the technical issues in the OBR. I've called hundreds of slow pitch softball and rec league baseball games. But if I signed up to work those sports for our association, I get all the varsity games that I wanted next season. Is that right, wrong, or unethical? I don't know. But it is necessary sometimes.

Third, it would depend a great deal on which sport we're talking about. I wouldn't walk on to a wrestling mat but I worked 6 varsity football games my very first year. In wrestling, you're by yourself, all alone. But there are 4 other guys on the field in football. Wrestling, no where to hide. Football, you can hide a weaker official, in terms of rules knowledge, all night long.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith