Thread: Ethics
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Since we have beat rule 10-1-8 into the ground I have an ethical question for the group:

An official works a sport or two for a length of time, 7,8,9,10 years, they get to be pretty good at it, varsity schedule, etc.

Now they take up a new sport. With all of the game management and professionalism experience the have, even though they are soft on the rules of the new sport, they run a good game. Many coaches and parents comment on this.

Here is the sticky part. Should this official take Varsity games for the following year? The official knows from his/her experience in other sports that they probably do not have as good a rules knowledge required for working the Varsity level (heck, some of the coaches probably know more about the rules). Should they take the games, grow into it, and hope something bizarre (like rule 10-1-8) doesn’t happen, or should they decline and gobble up as many middle school and freshman games as they can?

Thoughts?
Brian,
For me, I would catch a cliinic, study the rules as if it was my only sport, and take lower level games before I embarass my crew, or game management.
mick