View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
Quote:
Originally posted by tasoump
I posted this once before but here it goes again. HS Varsity game. I'm BU, bottom of 2nd 1 out R1, PU calls balk while pitcher is standing on rubber getting sign. I had know idea why PU called balk. Visiting head coach calmly called time and walked out to the PU, had a conversation and returned to the dugout. I did not hear the conversation between the coach and PU. Pitcher asked me why he called a balk and I replied I have no idea ask your coach when the inning is over. Later the visiting coach told me it was because the pitcher was holding the ball beside his leg not behind his back. Now the fun begins bottom of 7th home team trailing 11-2. PU lost his strike zone and walked the next 13 batters in a row. Visiting team used 3 pitchers during the walkathon. From my viewpoint there were plenty of pitches that could be called strikes. Visiting coach asked me during one of the pitching changes if I thought he was getting screwed and could he appeal to me on called balls. I informed him no he cannot appeal to me on called balls and I hope you have your KY jelly so it doesn't hurt so bad. Home team wins game 11-12 with no hits and no outs in bottom of 7th. Found out later that PU was a graduate from the home team HS. I quit being an umpire after that game.
In my opinion, thats why you should umpire, to do it right and restore some integrity to the game unlike this clown.
Personally, if what he has stated is accurate, I think we are better off without him. You might think your partner is deliberately throwing a game, but to share that perception with a coach during the contest is less than honorable. Take your concerns to your assignor. I hope the quip about the KY was an embellishment and did not really happen.