View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Chris23
[B]Hi, I am writing this article cause i am searching for advice. I am currently turning 18 and this is my 3rd year umpiring. I am not going to say what organization I work for but i will say i am in the NYC area.

Hi Chris, I'm from upstate NY approx 60 miles north of the New York City area. In most organizations, in order to get the "good games" ie; Connie Mack, Legion etc. one must be a HS Certified Official. In fact one of the reasons I became HS certified was so I could work in the summer where my eligibility is greatly increased because of work constraints.

I have the following recommendations for you.

1. Since you are currently turning 18, you are now eligible to take the New York State Examination for HS Officials. Look in the local papers as to when the test is given. Normally around December / January the Prep coarses begin.

During the Prep coarses they hand out the FED (Which is the rules used by HS) rule books for you to study. They also go over previous exams. There's normally 3 prep coarses prior to the actual test.

The test is composed of 100 multiple choice questions. In New York State you need to get an 85 or better in order to pass. Once you pass, the cost for membership varies but in the association I belong to it is $65.00 per season.

You have to attend 6 meetings per year. I realize this could be a burden if you go to college, but you could probably work something out.

2. Join an association which is close to where you live and gives the most availability. You didn't say where you live but I would recommend the Westchester association which has many schools in which they service.

3. Some individuals in the HS association also assign summer ball. As you are well aware the New York City area encompasses a wide range of ball. As you get your feet wet in the association and get to know who the assignors are, you can offer your services.

Finally, assuming you are going to college, if you are real serious about umpiring after graduation , you might want to attend a PRO School. I have been told by many people that the PRO Schools prefer young candidates these days as opposed to the way it was maybe 10 yrs. ago.

In fact, you see many young umpires in the PRO ranks today.

Good Luck!

Pete Booth