Thread: What do you say
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
If there wasn't any doubt on the swing, I'd have called it when they swung.
That was not part of the scenario. There are many obvious swings that the PU doesn't necessarily see that everyone else does.
Quote:

And while I respect your opinion that you would not place BR on 1st here, I would say that you DO, in fact, place BR in jeopardy if you don't call the strike immediately - and yes, it is POSSIBLE that you caused the defense to proceed with less urgency. If it did occur that I called ball, defense picked up the WP/PB, and then appealled, and my BU, for some reason, DID call it a strike, then I, as umpire, would have to use judgement to weigh the two and decide if we did, in fact, cause the BR to be out when she would have made it had I called strike immediately. I'm not saying I would ALWAYS put the runner on 1st. I'm saying you've created the S-House, and neither decision is entirely fair.
I look at it in a priority manner. Did the batter swing? If yes, that is a strikeout. Did the batter earn THEIR way to 1B? No.

Did the defense do anything to make the batter swing? No. Did the pitcher earn the strike out? Yes.

If the swing was pronounced enough that the BU ruled it a swing, most likely the batter knew it was a swing. The onus is on the batter to take advantage of a bad defensive position.

JMHO,