View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

During was my second year doing Adult SP. I did a slow pitch rec tourney with a UIC who should have never been assigned a UIC position.

I had a player on the loosing team that started taunting the opposite team. I warned the coach that this needed to stop as the conduct was USC.

The offending player came up to bat in the 4th after the warning and hit a triple, but upon coming into three with no play (F6 was 2 steps off the base line) he threw an elbow and nailed the fielder across the upper torso with clothes line move.

I killed the play and ejected the player, at that time the coach started to argue with me that the fielder was in the way of the runner and the contact was not intentional.

At this time the coach called the UIC over, who knew this team from league games, and said that this in no way could have happened. After a few minutes delay and a short discussion with the UIC he reversed the ejection ruling. I told the UIC him that he could complete the game as I was not going to be held liable for any other conduct on the field and in my opinion the game ended right there with a forfeit.

Not 2 outs later with me out by my car I witnessed a bench clearing brawl between both teams, started by the same player I had ejected.

From what I hear that was the one of the last games this umpire ever did.