View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
It seems to me that the general tenor of this board is that people who are not officials have no business criticizing officials because they are not qualified since they have never officiated.

Yet posters on tbis board frequently complain about announcers, even though I haven't heard of any posters being professional announcers.
Jim -- In general, I agree with your philosophy. But I also know stupidity when I hear it and those guys today were unbelievably stupid. Just a few minor examples:

"What they should do is double team every one except Davis..." That's , let's see, 8 players on the floor?!?

"lackadaisical" pronounced as "laxadaisical". This is incredibly uneducated. Anyone who uses language for a living should be able to pronounce words like this correctly.

ditto for "prophesizing" instead of the correct "prophesying".

And then mis-pronouncing players names, the one I noticed today was "Obazuki" and "Ozbee-uki" and "Ozuki" for"Ozbuiki".

These kinds of "small" errors add up to a huge flop, in my opinion. Obviously, CBS doesn't agree. But I certainly can criticize these kinds of lapses, even though I've never been a sports announcer.