View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Expert Opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
We can keep beating that drum if we like. That is a worn argument and has been used for a very long time.

"They should know the rules!"

It's a bit naive to expect coaches, players, and fans to sit down and read the NFHS rules and discern the differences.

This is especially true since NFHS rules are so proprietory. You can find OBR rules all over the place. It's proudly available on the internet.

NFHS rules?

[insert mysterious music]

Not available. Hard to find. Cannot be readily checked. And then we wonder why people are not well-educated.

Over the years, I've had unusual things happen in games (OBR games) and the next day, some fan, coach or somebody will come back to the park the next day and say, "Last night I checked that interference rule and it said ... blah, blah, blah," At least they checked! They saw something unusual, or something they didn't understand, they got curious, and they checked. Nothing like that could ever occur in a high school game. The mystery persists.
The OBR is available on the internet. But is the OBR the actual rules that the game is being played under?

R1 stealing, fly ball to left field. R1 misses second and starts to advance to third. F7 catches the ball. R1 turns and begins to return to first, he touches second, and is beats the appeal at first. Defense then appeal the initial miss of second by R1, and you rule safe.

The next time you go back to that field, the coach says
"remember that appeal play, I looke it up, and it is under 7.10. He missed the base while advancing. Why didn't you call him out?"

You: "There is a concept called last time by and ..."

Coach: "Well where can I find this in writing?"

You: "Go on the internet and by the J/R or BRD (or whatever other book you can think of)"

Well now we are right back to where we started. In order for someone to understand the rules, they have to go and buy some book. BRD cost $25 (or so) and J/R cost $40 (or so), while the FED rule book cost $6.75.

Now which one of these is an average person more likely to buy? J/R for $40, or the Federation book for $6.75?
Touché!

Good point, Luke.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN